RE: Looking for TR3a clues still.....

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Looking for TR3a clues still.....
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:53:08 -0800
> One
> thing I am kind of grasping at straw with is the rubber hose that
> comes from
> the bottom of the tank to the hard line on the chassis.

AFAIK, on a TR3A there should be no soft line there.  It's hard line all the
way to the front, where a soft line is used to bridge from the frame to the
fuel pump.

> It seems that it would be very difficult to get to the tank side
> of whatever
> that hose connects to to replace it.

There is an opening in the body, the tank fitting hangs through the opening
under the car.  Not exactly easy to get to, but not all that terribly
difficult either.  Get the car way up on jackstands under the frame, so the
rear axle is resting on the stops and there's room to partially sit up under
the car.

> Any ideas, thoughts, scathing rebukes or harsh criticism would be most
> welcome,

To absolutely eliminate or confirm fuel pressure as a problem, I would get a
"vacuum test gauge" (they can normally read fuel pressure as well, cheap
ones should be under $20 at your local discount parts house) and tee it in
right at the inlet to the front carb.  Lead a length of hose out from under
the hood, and prop the gauge under a windshield wiper, so you can see it
while you drive.  Observe the fuel pressure during normal operation, and
then during the problem, and see if there's any difference. 'Normal' fuel
pressure is 2-4 psi, but anything over 1 is probably OK.

However, if letting it idle for just a few seconds doesn't make it run
normally again for a bit, then I would suspect that fuel delivery is not the
problem, and it's most likely electrical in nature.  I've heard from several
people that had complaints similar to yours, that were eventually tracked
down to the Pertronix ... so I'd probably start by converting back to
points.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver - got rained on tonight, no top or
sidecurtains, still enjoyed driving it