RE: For US members-- alternative brake M/C

To: "'Scott D Kohl'" <sdkandlsk1@juno.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: For US members-- alternative brake M/C
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:34:25 -0500
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
In years gone by when the concept of having any loose change at all was one
to boggle the mind, I discovered that the the MC from a Ford Pinto (1974)
would fit right onto the servo and had the output points at almost precisely
the same place as the Triumph MC. It is a cast iron unit (including the
reservoir) so is not beautiful, but it does work with almost no adjustments
at all. The only difference is that it does not use the bubble flares from
the TR, but instead uses simple out flares. so to make them I took standard
lines and made the single flares by inserting a small screwdriver  a 1/2" or
so in the tube and then rowing the screwdriver shaft around and around in
the end of the pipe until it was the correct shape. This solution worked
quite well for a number of years until I could buy a real Triumph MC.

I would imagine that the cost for the Pinto MC is not very high. Of course
you would have to be sure not to hit it on the back or it might explode...

Mark