INSTALLING - Spin-on Oil Filter adapter

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: INSTALLING - Spin-on Oil Filter adapter
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 07:42:31 -0500
Hi List!
    OK, I've followed the list's advice on putting red loc-tite on the
center male threads of the spin on adapter that goes into the Oil Filter
head, painted the outside & Oil Filter to match, used a thin coating of
Hylomar HPF [Sorry Randall, I couldn't find the 'Non- HPF' ;-) ], & went
to install it with NO Luck! :-(     Again I'm asking the list. :-(
    I recalled that another list member had this same problem & I don't
know how he did [if he did, or gave up & went back to the canister] to
get the center adapter to thread into the center part of the Oil Filter
Head that's on the block? I'm having the Same Problem in that:
It can be installed without the outside O-ring but NOT enough threads on
the center adapter piece to catch the threads when that O-ring is
installed. :-(      Did others have this problem? What was their solution?
    Thoughts:
1- See about getting a 'Less depth' outer flat style O-ring?     Or
May be an O-ring might work?
2- Don't use the flat style O-ring & use some  gasket dressing, BUT
What type?
3- Have the Oil Filter Adapter's edge, that meets the outside flat style
O-ring, milled down? If so, then how much? Will              milling it
down effect the inside portion of the Oil Filter Adapter to bind & not
have a good seal?
-Cosmo Kramer