RE: Hood/Bonnet problem (TR4)

Subject: RE: Hood/Bonnet problem (TR4)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 07:31:16 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> One thing to do is to make sure the release is opening/closing all the
> way.  Clean it up real good, an lubricate it.  It should pull open
> easily, and close back all the way (with the bonnet open).  The next
> step (and do this VERY carefully, because you might not ever get the
> bonnet open) is to adjust the "plunger" portion.   Move it ever so
> slightly closer to the side of the bracket that opens/closes.  You
> don't want to go too far, or the release won't open far enough (guess
> how I know that!).

I'm not familiar with the TR4 latch in particular ... but I assume it's
similar to the one on my Stag.  If so, I would strongly suggest making sure
the plunger is getting all the way through the latch mechanism, so that the
'guillotine' closes behind the 'bulb' at the end of the plunger.  I've seen
several cars where people have mistakenly adjusted it too high, so that the
latch just rubs on the side of the bulb rather than closing behind it.  My
Stag even has a dent in the hood, where someone adjusted the plunger so high
that it bent the sheet metal.

The side/side and fore/aft adjustment should be only to center the plunger
over the latch opening.

Randall