Re: TR movies

To: jat1127@hotmail.com ("john taylor"), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR movies
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:14:31 -0500
Cc: herald948@aol.com
In a message dated 12/3/2003 12:00:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jat1127@hotmail.com writes:

> I am been fooling aroound with TR cars for some 30+ years. Somewhere along
> the way, from Mike Cook?, I was given two VCR tapes that are of Triumph cars
> from the fifties. It has been years since I have watched them but I took a
> peek at one over the weekend and it is a bit on TR's racing at Lemans. My
> memory is that the rest shows the famous top speed trials and old
> advertising clips etc. The are two tapes.
>
> The quality of the origional film is not great. I thought that I would try
> to get them copied to DVD.
> While this will not improve the picture it would let me share them. Perhaps
> there is some question about copy rights. However, these are old and if it
> is kept on the list who would care.
>
> Soooooooo is there some interest. How many copies do I get. Cost? Well I
> will get a couple for myself and take it from there. How much can it cost?
> Anyone out there have an idea?
> Anyone in my area, western Ma, that has the gear to copy them?

John, from that description, I'll guess that these two tapes are those produced
by VTR Chapter Delaware Valley Triumphs back in the 1980s(?) for sale through
VTR. There are segments on the May 1953 Jabbeke run of TR2 prototype MVC575,
various European rallyes and races such as Le Mans, along with films such as my
personal favorite "The Hard Way for Heralds" -- a documentary on the two Herald
protoypes that ran the length of Africa in 1958. That's just some of what's on
the two tapes.

As for rights, that's a very good question, one for which I don't currently
have an answer. Some of these films are currently available elsewhere through
BMIHT and/or others. Hopefully those "current" titles were copied from better
prints than were available to DVT years ago; some of the sound wasn't good at
all.

It's nice to know that there are still copies around. Our local club --
Adirondack Triumph Association -- had a set of these, but somewhere along the
line they "disappeared" from the library. :-( Last I knew, DVT still had their
"master" copies.

If there is interest, I would be happy to try to find out if those master VHS
tapes still exist and if there are any "issues" regarding copyright, etc.

--Andy
Andrew Mace, VTR VP for Member Services