TR250 TR6 front wheel grease seals

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR250 TR6 front wheel grease seals
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 16:06:05 -0500
I am having a heck of a time locating the rubber style front wheel
grease seals.

I was given the Carquest Federal Mogul PN SLS 340823. I ordered them,
but they are too large. The inside diameter of the rubber seal is about
the same as the outside diameter of the felt ones. The felt ones look to
be the right size when compared to what is on the car.

The guy at Carquest's tech line had a listing for the TR250 and verified
that the SLS 340823 was the correct PN and should fit TR's from '56 (I
think) to '76. We thought that maybe they were packaged wrong, but the
seal has the correct PN on it.

Carquest also has a listing which gives part's dimensions, and the seal
  matches the dimensions in the book.

So Carquest and I are lost. Their only suggestion is to order one from a
different part of the country and see if I can get one that fits. They
seem to think that Carquest stores in different parts of the country can
have different suppliers. Seems unlikely to me but I guess.

So my alternatives are to beg someone on the list to order one of these
and see what they get (I am doing that now), or forget the whole thing
and go with the felt, which I understand are not the correct thickness
but can be made to work.

If anyone is interested in helping me out with this let me know.
There'll be a free set of seals in it for you if you can help me get the
correct size.

Thanks,

Don Malling