alternator & erwire job

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: alternator & erwire job
From: kmcnelis@nmsu.edu
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:51:18 -0700
I am in the midst of a complete re-wire of my '72 TR6.  Have a problem.  The
alternator is a no-name (just says "made in USA" on it).  The main terminal is
easy, the big thick brown/white wire has a big round lug on it.  The problem
is the other two wires.  One is Brown/Yellow, the other Brown.  The terminals
on the alternator are just labeled "1" and "2".  Like a dumb-butt, I didn't
make note of which wire went to which terminal.  Knowing that getting the
polarity backwards is fatal, and not wanting to ask wifey for an advance on my
allowance to buy a new alternator, can anyone suggest 1) does it matter which
of the two orphan wires goes to which terminal?  2)  If it does, which it
which?

Thanks all.

Kevin