Re: TR4 Shocks

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Shocks
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:03:52 -0800 (PST)
When I rebuilt the front end of my TR4 a few years back, I replaced the
original shocks with Konis.

The strange thing was, the OEM shocks SEEMED to have the same damping rate
as the Konis in my unsophisticated test of compressing them against the
garage floor.

This didn't account for rebound of course, so I'm HOPING I paid extra for
thos Konis for some reason.

The Konis ARE adjustable, but unless they were adjusted to their firmest
setting, they were SOFTER than the shocks I was removing. Go figure.

Sooooo.........If you're not planning on racing or autocrossing, I'd
suggest going with the regular dampers and save yourself some money.

If I had it to do over again, I think I'd have just left my dampers alone,
or perhaps I'd go with the Spax so I could adjust the damping rate without
removing the shock as the Koni requires.

One racer told me that the Spax don't hold up for racing and that Koni was
the way to go for that application.

-jeffrey