Lucas Generators

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lucas Generators
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 18:28:12 -0500
List, I'm going to chime in here. In 1969 when I bought my 1966 TR4A it was my
only vehicle and driven in all kinds of Pittsburgh weather. Snow, rain, smog,
acid rain, you get the picture. I never had a problem with the Generator
keeping up with the demands of the electrical system and never had a dead
battery as a result. The car would sit out all day while at work in sometimes
below 0 temperatures and never failed to start due to electrical problems. I
remember on particularly cold days it would crank very slowly stopping
sometimes at each compression stroke. It would do that maybe 3 or 4 times and
then fire to life just as my co-workers were about to make the inevitable
comments about those foreign cars. I was single at the time so I also had a
lot of experience driving it at night too with heater and lights on high.
So that's one person's first hand experience thru the winter and with high
demands on the Lucas Generator.
Interestingly enough I switched to an Alternator a few years ago after
experiencing generator problems now that the car only sees good weather
driving. Go figure!

Jerry Van Vlack