Carb Rebuild Questions - 74 TR6

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb Rebuild Questions - 74 TR6
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:49:55 -0700
3 questions on my impending rebuild of the Stromberg CD-175s:
1)       I am replacing the adjustable  needles and the fixed jets. I recall
the jets are a press fit and the replacements  have no threads either. What
are the  steps to taking them out and pressing the new ones in with no
damage i.e, which direction do they come out and back in,  do I need a
special tool, loctite?   How do you get the depth below the  bridge accurate
or is a visual vs. the original's position  good enough? Any other cautions?
2)       Is it better just to leave the bypass valve alone.  The rebuild kit
instructions advise this and I thought I saw a post where once re-assembled
they were difficult to re-calibrate. I do not have any problems with
backfiring under deceleration, but on the other hand if they can be re-newed
easily why not?
3)       What is the best way to seal the  access cap at the bottom of the
float bowl. I recall that most sealers don't work well with gas.

Thanks. Jim Sloan - Calgary.