Exhaust smell (was old fluif)

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Exhaust smell (was old fluif)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:46:07 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net hBIJ0mGx021516
Message text written by "Philip E. Barnes"
>I have been scratching my head over the stinky-clothes phenomenon for
a while now. I experience the same thing with my car. It's not a
gasoline smell, but an exhaust smell. My car is tuned as well as I
can get it, although there may be room for improvement. I know I
didn't have this problem years ago when I bought the car, and I know
that the fuel I used to buy (leaded premium) didn't do this. I have
the feeling that the current formulation for gasoline may be at least
in part to blame for it.<

Or could it be that when you bought it it didn't have worn valve guides and
rings?

I, too, have been working with a bad smelling exhaust.  A rebuilt head with
new guides didn't fix it so I guess it will be rings next.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO
71 TR6