TR4A-6 Rear Sway Bar Questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A-6 Rear Sway Bar Questions
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:32:54 -0800
List,

If you've installed a rear sway bar kit (obtained from TRF or elsewhere)
on a TR4A-TR6, please check my reasoning and correct me if I'm wrong.
These questions are specifically focused on the attachment at the
trailing arms under the spring.

I bought a rear sway bar kit from TRF some time ago.  Aside from them
sending me the wrong kit under the right part number (solid axle kit
instead of the needed IRS kit), it appears that the parts in the kit
don't match the installation instructions (what a shock!).  Basically,
the instructions say to simply 'place one large square washing inside
each spring so it will be located over the hole in the a-arm (trailing
arm) at the spring center'.

First, my kit didn't have any 'large square washers'.  It did come with
four large round washers that just fit inside the spring, so that's what
I assume they are talking about.  However..

The large round washers won't fit through the center of the spring
packing pieces.  As such, I am assuming that the rear springs must be
removed in order to install said large round washers???  Not the end of
the world, but kind of a pain nonetheless.

My further question is, on the TR6, the trailing arms conveniently have
the lower spring locator tabs on them, which conveniently fit right up
into the spring packing piece to make it easier to install the rear
springs than on a TR4A without the tabs (they don't try to slide around
when you're jacking the arm up).  However, due to these tabs, it doesn't
seem to me that the 'large round washer' would fit into bottom of the
trailing arm (for that matter, neither would the square washers).

Please offer any assistance/guidance/comments.

TIA

Jeff Tedder
'66 & '67 TR4A