Generators vs. alternators

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Generators vs. alternators
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:12:31 -0500
Listers,

OK, OK....I'll weigh in on this subject.

I've been the owner of a '66 MGB for about 25 years. I've rebuilt the engine
twice and each time have rebuilt and installed the original generator.

I've NEVER had an electrical problem in all this driving (I estimate 80,000
mi)other than having the original regulator lose some tension in one of the
coils causing it to short when hot.

I've just finished restoration of me 60 TR3A and don't expect that the
generator will give problems here either.

IMO, the real enjoyment is driving an LBC as it came off the production line in
that year. My cars look GREAT but are not concours by any stretch (I enjoy
driving them too much).

To me they are truly time machines; they send me back to the halcyon days long
ago...and that's how I enjoy the road.

Bob Stahlbush, pres., British Motorcars of N.E. (bmcne.com)

66 MGB GHN3L 78708 (fresh engine and OD last year)
60 TR3A TS81398L (fresh engine and OD next year)