RE: starter

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:54:02 -0800
> Just curious....I believe my 59 TR3 has the original starter.  Can someone
> tell me, in non-mechanic speak, the difference between, and
> advantage of, a
> gear reduction starter over stock?

Not sure I can handle the first part of the question ... the difference is
that it has a gear reduction <g>

Turns the engine faster, draws less current (meaning it can crank longer for
any given battery and state of charge), weighs less, and best of all, no
Bendix to slip !

If your car (starter) is before TS50000, the gear drive starter will also
allow you to fit some tubular headers that will not fit with the stock
starter.

Be sure to note that there are two different gear drive starters, although
the difference is subtle.  Cars with a pre-TS50000 flywheel require a 9
tooth pinion on the starter, later flywheels take a 10-tooth pinion.

Oh, one more advantage, the gear drive will let you run a post-50000
flywheel with a pre-50000 gearbox.

Don't know that it's necessary, but I used the original solenoid to control
the power to the new solenoid on my gear-drive starter.  The new solenoid
draws a lot more current than the old one, and I'm not sure if the "push to
start" switch can handle the extra current over the long run, or not.  That
way, I also get to keep the handy under-bonnet start button !

Randall