RE: Trunions oil?

To: "Triumphs Mail List Members" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: Trunions oil?
From: "Chris & Kelly Sharp" <4sharps@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 13:08:40 -0800
Tom-

I don't wanna fan the flames of this thread, but hear it goes anyway...

Is "oiling" a British euphamism for greasing the trunions?  Many Triumph
models required oiling rather than greasing the steering trunions, so, no,
they do mean oil.  Shop manual (factory or Haynes) should specify the proper
viscosity.

Acceptable to grease vs oil trunions?  Open for debate.  Purests will insist
that the trunions be oiled, as recommended by the factory.  Others will
argue that grease is good enough and more readily available.  I rebuilt the
front end of my '64 Spitfire4 about four years ago and have been greasing
them from day one, so it will be a few years before I know if the grease
ruined the trunions or not.

What happens if they are greased?  Also open for debate.  ISTR a long
discussion years ago ('96?) that lead me to believe that the reason for the
recomendation of oil had more to do with the rapid breakdown of the soaps
used in the manufacture of grease, which has largely been overcome in modern
formulas.  A poll of folks who had greased vs oiled their trunions indicated
that those who greased them regularly had not noticed any more wear than
those who oiled them.

This probably will lead you to more questions, but I hope you find this
helpful anyway.

Merry Christmas

Chris Sharp
'64 Spitfire4