Oil pressure/ oil pump rebuild (TR3A)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pressure/ oil pump rebuild (TR3A)
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:27:16 EST
With the winter maintenance season underway I've been contemplating those
things to do. One of which is the oil pump. Any advice appreciated.

At cold start the pressure is 70 lbs. It will continue to read at 50 or so,
until about a half hour or so at speed (mostly highway). Thereafter, at idle it
will drop to 20 lbs. Even in cold NY temperatures. I'm using Castrol 20W-50.
During summer months I use straight SAE 50. The temp gauge will read slightly
higher than 185.

Questions:
Is this normal to see when using 20W-50?
Is there an adjustment (oil pressure release valve) that can be made to
increase pressure at idle? How done?
How difficult to rebuild the oil pump? I realize I need to drop the sump,
etc.
Is just the two piece oil pump repair kit all that is required for a rebuild?
Would it be better to pull out the pump, filter/mesh, etc and clean?

TIA, Best Regards & Happy Holidays,
Ed (58 TR3A)