RE: Oil pressure/ oil pump rebuild (TR3A)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil pressure/ oil pump rebuild (TR3A)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:14:30 -0800
> OTOH I've been told that so long as there's some oil pressure these 4 pot
> engines are virtually bomb proof so don't bother rebuilding until
> you can't
> stand the banging and clattering of the bearings, pistons, chains, blue
> smoke ect any longer.
>
> Other listers experience and views would make interesting and instructive
> reading I think

When I bought my previous TR3A, it's engine was in a very advanced state of
wear.  Clattered horribly on startup, had no torque at all below about 2500
rpm and showed no oil pressure whatsoever at hot idle even with straight 40
weight oil (heaviest that was readily available at that time and place).
You could grab a fan blade and easily turn the engine against what little
compression it had.  I drove it hard (took full throttle just to keep up
with traffic) for about 6 months until I could rebuild another engine to
drop in ... when we got the original engine apart the bearings were all well
into the copper backing and you could see the cylinder taper with the naked
eye.

But, it never broke, and always started even in Indiana winter if the
battery was charged (which ceased to be a problem with the Ford alternator).
Didn't blow much blue smoke either, mostly leaked it out.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, woo hoo!)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wanna be
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly