RE: Chrome

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chrome
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:07:05 -0800
> Thank you everyone for your responses with tips how to
> clean/polish chrome.
> Has anyone used the cotton buffing wheel on a bench grinder, with
> two states
> of progressively lighter chrome polish grit bars that you rub against the
> spinning buffing wheel before applying the chrome?  (I saw this
> on a classic
> car restoration show.)

Yes, I've done it, but don't recall offhand which abrasives I used for
chrome.  Bit of a PITA, you need a different wheel for each abrasive and two
or three different abrasives for each substance (plastic, chrome, brass,
etc.)  I devoted a cheap bench grinder to the task for awhile, but
eventually wanted to use the wire wheels again and I've never bothered
putting the buffs back on.

For chrome, it didn't seem a lot better than polishing with a coarse cloth,
white polishing compound and lots of elbow grease.  Worked a treat on
plastic (tail lamp lenses and such) though.

Randall