TR3A oil pressure/oil pump

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A oil pressure/oil pump
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 09:06:53 EST
Thanks to all who replied to my query. From the gist of it, oil pressure of
20 psi at hot idle (20W50) would be normal on a "middle aged engine", foregoing
an oil pump rebuild (without corresponding main and rod bearing rebuild). I'd
say this engine (~TS38450E) fits the category of middle age. When I removed
the head this past fall (for re-build) I found that the pistons/liners were
apparently factory installed AE 83 mm, so I assume the rest of the engine had
not
been rebuilt at any time in the recent past. Generally speaking, this would
seem to fit with the overall wear of the vehicle, based on the parts I've had
to replace over the years. Mileage on the vehicle is 65,000+, of which 15,000
were my doing over the past 3 or so years.

So ... I'll hold off this aspect of maintenance ... until I absolutely have
too ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it"). I will need to do something about the
brakes (10" rear), however, since they do seem to bind at slow stop.

As with "FT", I have enjoyed some reasonable weather here in NY over the past
week. I remember last winter my last drive was 12/24.

Best Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A), anticipating jack stands/winter maintenance, but holding off to
the last.