GT6 trans thrust washer question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 trans thrust washer question
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:32:22 -0500
I am starting to reassemble my GT6 gearbox.  The spec for the counter
(lay) shaft gear cluster end float is 0.007 to 0.013 inches.  With new
thrust washers, I will still have about 0.018 end float.  Have any of
you added a hardened steel shim behind the thrust washers (McMaster-Carr
has them in varying thickness, in steps of 0.001 inches)?  I am
concerned that the thrust washer will not remain properly located behind
the thrust washer if I make an irregular ID like the thrust washer has.
Does any one know why the thrust washers have the irregular, egg shaped
IDs?  I am considering TIG welding, a few tiny 1/16 to 1/8 inch long
welds, edge to edge on the perimeter of the spacer to the thrust
washer.  I think I can do this with very minimal (local) damage to the
bronze face of the thrust washer.  Another alternative would be to
silver solder a few discrete spots on the edges of the two parts.

I've got to decide on buying the hardened shims by mid afternoon
tomorrow to get the shims delivered by Monday night so that I can take
them with me when I make a visit down to my employer's prototype shop on
Tuesday - I dream of having my own TIG welder and being able to do
delicate welding on demand instead of waiting on an opportunity to
access a TIG.

Other ideas?  Off in digest land awaiting your replies.