79 Spit for Sale, with questions (long)

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 79 Spit for Sale, with questions (long)
From: "Tobin, Greg" <Greg.Tobin@trizetto.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:51:10 -0700
  It's  2004, and this means that this list has been up in various forms
now, for over 15 years.  A significant portion of my life!

   I'm looking to sell my 79 1500, which I bought in 1987 with 60k.  It was
my second car, and I was a senior in high school.  Over the next 5 years, I
drove it back and forth to work in downtown Boston, and put another 35K on
it or so.  Since then, it's been dragged across country, and stored in my
garage for 10 years.

   The reason it's been stored is the reason it makes it a bit difficult to
sell:
      In Massachusetts in the 80's (and maybe now too), the title isn't
matched up to the VIN by any sort of certificate if the vehicle is from out
of state.  I wasn't a bright kid, and did not check the VIN on the title
against the car, and it does not match.  Not at all.  The VIN on the title
is some non-Triumph number.

   Colorado, where I've been living, requires that vehicles from
out-of-state have a state authority match up the title to the VIN on the car
before registration, which poses the problem.  I could easily just stamp a
new VIN plate and rivet it to the frame or someplace and say that's where
they pulled it from in Mass, but to any sort of Triumph enthusiast, this
won't hold up.  Other ethical matters aside!!! (^:

  I need to sell it to make room for other stuff in the garage, does anyone
have any ideas?  I'm tempted to just sell it as is for parts, but it's a lot
nicer than a parts car.

  Here's a bit about it, I am curious what you would think it's worth.

   1979 Spitfire 1500
   Starts, runs quite well, and is driveable
   Body:  That distinctive orange/red (Carmine?) - seemingly original paint,
faded, but buffs out reasonably well.  It looks good from 5 feet away.
Trunk floor  has a few holes where the plugs are, rear fenders have small
rust through (New England winter driving...)  Hood has a raised dent where
DPO slammed on top of tools laying on carb.  No dents or other rust
problems.
   Motor:  Most emissions equip is there, minus whatever was taken off for
the Weber Conversion by the DPO (one charcoal canister and some tubing.)
Allison Ignition.
   98K miles
   Trans:  Overdrive works.  Reverse gear is the wrong unit (wrong tooth
count, the 1500's had the NM vs M setup), it was replaced incorrectly by the
DPO.
   No top, only the frame.  I removed the top to replace it, and put the top
on another car instead.
   Weber DGV carb, DPO installed.
   Older Monza exhaust.
   Complete wiring harness replaced in 88 when they still sold them.  No
mods done to it since. Electrics are all sound.
   Bumper covers are gone. Rear one because of above exhaust system melting
it...
   Seats are what you would expect over a 100K mile Spit, they need to be
replaced, but they really don't look too bad.  Drivers side is torn on the
outside.
   Drivers side door handle is broken, door does not latch.
   Overall, it's a bit scruffy, but decent enough.

  I don't want to run through and fix it all and not be able to sell it, so
I'm waffling here on how to sell it!  I am open to offers as a parts car,
but the title issue is something you have to keep in mind!