Re: Engine Gaskets/Sealers

To: Terry Smith <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Gaskets/Sealers
From: Bob labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:01:01 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Terry Smith wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> Okay.  I give up.  I've gone back through the archives looking for advice on
> gaskets, located a grunch of threads, but not found exactly what I need.
>
> 1)  First, Justin Wagner has a Silicone gasket product for each the valve
> cover and sump.  I'd like to hear from people who have actually installed and
> used these, although I seem to remember (though I couldn't find them) people
> on the list saying they did work very well.
>
> 2)  Moss offers "regular" gasket sets, and "Payen" sets.  Price difference is
> negligible.  Does anyone have a comment on the the quality difference?
>
> 3)  People have talked a lot about sealants for paper/cork gaskets.  Silicone
> seems to be the choice.  Permatex blue silicone has always worked okay for me,
> but maybe I'm missing something there.  I am particularly worried about those
> tiny cork T-gaskets that fit into the front removable block.  And of course
> I'm worried about getting pieces apart again when the inevitable repair is
> required.
>
> Thanks everyone.
>
> Terry Smith
> '59 TR3A (Off the frame and in pieces, but clean pieces, and the engine
> assembly begins in 2-3 weeks!)

Terry,

I cant comment on the new silicone valve cover or sump gasket, but when
it comes time to replace the current gaskets, those will be the ones I
will use. I have heard good things on this list.

As far as regular gaskets, Payen is what I have used in the past.

On my original engine rebuild I didn't use blue silicone but which I
did. When I replaced my fuel pump a few years ago, I did use the blue
stuff and there have been no leaks. In the past on this TR and previous
TRs, the fuel pump always leaked! The only place I would not use
silicone is sealing the piston sleaves in the block and with the figure
8 gaskets. I would use permatex aviation sealer. I also would not use
silicone when attaching the oil pump.

A few years back when I rebuilt my T140V engine, I used the blue
silicone and now have a Triumph motorcycle engine that does not leak any
oil. As far as repair,about 500 miles after rebuild, I had to take the
primary cover off to adjust the clutch and it was so easy to get the old
gasket off. Silicone is a wonderful invention!

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V
1998 T-Bird T3