Engine Gaskets/Sealers

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Gaskets/Sealers
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:08:23 -0500
Hello, everyone.

Okay.  I give up.  I've gone back through the archives looking for advice on
gaskets, located a grunch of threads, but not found exactly what I need.

1)  First, Justin Wagner has a Silicone gasket product for each the valve
cover and sump.  I'd like to hear from people who have actually installed and
used these, although I seem to remember (though I couldn't find them) people
on the list saying they did work very well.

2)  Moss offers "regular" gasket sets, and "Payen" sets.  Price difference is
negligible.  Does anyone have a comment on the the quality difference?

3)  People have talked a lot about sealants for paper/cork gaskets.  Silicone
seems to be the choice.  Permatex blue silicone has always worked okay for me,
but maybe I'm missing something there.  I am particularly worried about those
tiny cork T-gaskets that fit into the front removable block.  And of course
I'm worried about getting pieces apart again when the inevitable repair is
required.

Thanks everyone.

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A (Off the frame and in pieces, but clean pieces, and the engine
assembly begins in 2-3 weeks!)