RE: Shipping a TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Shipping a TR3
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:51:32 -0800
> Randall -
> Drive it and then you can give us a really good "Extreme
> Conditions" story!
>
> ~ If you survive of course ~

Well shoot, at least he'd have "the safety of disc brakes" !

I once drove a 56 TR3 that I had bought sight unseen, from Houston to LA.
Didn't make it out of the subdivision before it died the first time ... but
after replacing the point lead (with one stolen from a MGA) and the
thermostat housing with something from a Toyota (I think it was), it made it
the rest of the way to LA without further incident.

Funny part was, it was my "chase car" (a friend in his Pinto station wagon)
that lost a stub axle in the middle of nowhere (west Texas, 50 miles past
the "Next services 104 miles" sign).  We actually used the TR3 to run parts
for his Pinto !

Those front drum brakes were horrible.  Always pulled one way or the other,
and you never knew in advance which way they were going to pull this time.
And that was after replacing all the linings and seals !  Might be it had
more to do with the steering and suspension being worn out, but I sold the
car (after robbing the engine and OD transmission) before I found out.

The other Randall (Y)