Windscreen Mounting Mysteries

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Windscreen Mounting Mysteries
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 00:49:57 EST
The thought of installing a freshly rechromed windscreen frame and stanchions
is driving me onward as I attempt to decipher the mystery of the mount.
Clues are needed for the following:

1.  My post-60000 TR3A did not have side plates between the bolt-mounted
(non-Dzus) stanchions and the body.  Instead, there was a 1/16" thick cork
gasket
between the lower end of each stanchion and everywhere it touches the body.
I've seen no listing for a cork gasket, so was this a PO's way of compensating
for the lack of side plates?  Are the side plates supposed to be mounted
directly against the body?

2.  There is an angled groove machined into the inside edge of each
stanchion, but it's not clear what this channel is for.  It's approx. 1/4" wide
by 3/8"
deep by 2" long, and it runs roughly parallel to the length of the stanchion.
 Mine were empty and serving no visible purpose.  What gives?

3.  There were no corner finishers installed on my windshield stanchions.
How should the lower sealing rubber be fitted to the corner finishers?  Should
it be stretched taut, screwed down and then trimmed?

That should do it for now.  More questions will undoubtedly follow.  Thanks
for all your help with this pane in the glass job.

Bill Stagg
1960 TR3A