Re: Removing U joints from IRS axles TR250 TR6

To: dmallin@attglobal.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing U joints from IRS axles TR250 TR6
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:02:51 EST
In a message dated 1/24/04 12:33:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmallin@attglobal.net writes:

> I'm having lots of trouble removing the U joints from the IRS axles on
> my TR250.
>
> On one axle the circle clips came out easily but the U Joint cups will
> not move. Bentley says to remove the circle clips and tap on the yoke to
> remove the U joint. No go. I thought I would break the cups loose from
> the yoke by putting it in a vice with a socket against the U joint cup
> face and still no movement at all. I've tried soaking the cup to yoke
> joint with PB blaster, but not over night yet. Still no movement in the
> vice.
>
> On the other axle, the circle clips will not come out. I'm soaking them
> in PB blaster. I've tried to use a smaller socket and vice to relieve
> the pressure on the circle clips, but just as in the other axle there is
> no movement -- of course the opposite circle clip is still in place --
> I'm just trying the relieve the pressure on the circle clip.
>
> Any hints?

Get a bigger vise. I'm serious.

Those u-joints can put up quite a fight.  Getting them to budge with the
hammer, as shown in the manual is....well, it ain't gonna happen.

And a small vise may not be adequate.

A little heat can help sometimes.....

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA