RE: SU trouble

To: <BHardySmith@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SU trouble
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:10:32 -0800
> I have rebuilt and rebushed the dual 1.5 SU for my 1972 spitfire.
>  I have had
> these carbs on this car and they used to work.  I am looking for
> some help in
> getting them tuned.
>
> I followed the procedure in the Hayne's (made the jet flush with
> the bridge,
> lowered the jet 2 turns).  Wouldn't start.  Got it to run with
> starting fluid.
>  When it runs on gas, it runs at high RPM's (i.e. 2000) and won't
> come down.
> Fuel is leaking from front carb overflow.  Piston in rear carb
> not as "high"
> as the front carb.  I shut down engine.  Will not start back up.
> Did not try
> starting fluid.

Sounds like multiple problems to me.  I'd start by finding out why the float
valve in the front carb doesn't hold back fuel.  Did you replace all the
soft lines ?

The difference in piston height just means they aren't synchronized worth a
hoot ... I'd look into that too.  Might be the fast idle is because the rear
carb is holding the front one open.  If it's not that, either something else
is holding the throttle open (you did center the plates in the bore, right
?), or there's a vacuum leak somewhere.

You didn't mention the starting bar ... did you have it actuated and still
needed starting fluid ?  I'd repeat the starting fluid test, as it tells you
that the problem is the carbs being too lean ... not enough fuel.

What about the emissions fittings ?  I'm not sure what a 72 Spit should
have, but my 71 Stag has several that would be vacuum leaks if they were
left open.

HTH
Randall