RE: TR6 SU Carb Conversion to Weber

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 SU Carb Conversion to Weber
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:15:51 -0800
> I write to ask for advice on converting the SU carbs on my 74 TR6
> (CF22072U)
> to DGV Weber carbs.
>
> Right now there's nothing 'wrong' with the original SU carbs other than my
> TR6 is a glutton on gas, and when I'm stopped at a traffic light I'm in a
> cloud of fumes ... not oil, but unburnt fuel.

Dave, I don't know anything about the DGV conversion, but I do know that SU
carbs were never original for a TR6, and that they can work quite well.  The
idle mixture should be especially easy to get right, since it's directly
adjustable.  If the mixture at other flows isn't right after the idle is
properly set, then it can be adjusted by changing the needle and spring.

So my suggestion would be to make the SUs work, rather than starting over
with another expen$ive headache.  The DGV conversion may work OK on the
street, but those "toilet trap" manifolds look like a nightmare from a
performance point of view.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a non-original fuel pump too ?  Both SUs
and Webers take a lower fuel pressure than many carbs, and flooding at idle
is a common complaint with high fuel pressure.

Randall