TR4/4A Water Pump Pulley Attachment Problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4/4A Water Pump Pulley Attachment Problem
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:32:35 -0800
List,

I have in my possession two County (an English company, according to the
box) water pumps, model GPA29.  I also have the alternator conversion
kit from Revington, which included a thin-belt water pump pulley.  The
problem is, when the pulley is installed on the pumps (they are
basically identical, just from different sources), not enough of the
thread remains on the shaft to tighten the pulley down.  I can only get
about 2 turns on the rather large nut.  Seeing as this is a vital part
of the engine, Id like to have it at least down 6 or 7 full turns, or
preferably all the way through the nyloc ring.

My first thought was locktite, but with so little thread actually in the
nut, Im leery of going this round.  My second thought was getting a
nyloc jam nut (basically a thin nyloc, less than = of the usual nut
height.  Unfortunately, the threads on the pump dont match any threads
that I can find  it mics out to be about =-16, and the normal =
threads are either 13 (NC) or 20 (NF).  Doesnt appear to be metric, as
12mm doesnt fit and 14 is loose.

So what to do?  Does anyone know what thread the water pump shaft is?
It is English, but I figured by now everything that came over from there
would be metric.  The only three other solutions I can think of are a)
cut the nut in half at the machine shop and hope that the threads can
still run up the water pump shaft once theyre done (has anybody ever
had success with this?), b) cut the threaded part of the shaft off and
weld a normal =-13 stud section on (will the heat screw up the
pump?), or c) somehow machine the pulley down in the front so that it
doesnt overhang the threaded section as much (worried this will weaken
the pulley).  Any suggestions?

TIA

Jeff Tedder
66 & 67 TR4A