Re: [triumph_herald] Tubes in Herald tyres?

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Tubes in Herald tyres?
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:17:49 -0000
Hi
It would IMHO actually be more dangerous to run a tube in a tubeless tyre. I
believe it increases the risk of a blowout due to tubeless tyres having ribs
running across the circumference on the inside. The only time I ever had a
tube fitted was when I had to leave a tyre for a repair, the fitter patched
the tyre then fitted a tube for good measure, I picked up the wheel went
home fitted it to the car and went on holiday towing a caravan. In my haste
I didn't notice the valve stem was wrong (tube type) and after about 100
miles at 60 mph the thing blew out. Lucky not to loose the combination off
the black stuff, the tyre carcass was quite hot and the tube was in about
500 bits.
I have to believe the pressure was correct as the fitter asked what pressure
I wanted when I collected it.

Graham.