Progress on bodywork

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Progress on bodywork
From: "dconnitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 14:42:57 -0500
Hi List,
I made some more progress on my TR4A bodywork this weekend. I think I
figured out how to fix the offset hood gap. The moral to this story is
to spend $180.00 on a new inner fender instead of patching up the
"repaired" one.
I also received a suggestion from another Triumph owner who "has been
there". He suggested that I run threaded rods across the inner fenders
to fix the opening and hold the two inner fenders parallel. Then, I was
able to unbolt the whole front end and push it to the passenger side to
open up the gap on the passenger side and reduce the gap on the driver
side.
It's real close now, but I could use about another 1/8" off the driver
side gap. It turns out another problem is the "patch" on the driver side
is not vertical, but leans out away from the hinge. Between adjusting
the rods, a 3 pound "adjuster", and a little heat to anneal the inner
fender, it got close. I may have to add a couple of washers between the
passenger side hood hinge and the inner fender to get it the final
little bit I need.
But, I have to wait until next weekend for that. Off to my daughters
house to watch the supper bowl. Maybe I will win enough money to get
that new inner fender!!!
I updated my website to show what I have done on the inner fender and
hood alignment. Almost done with bodywork and I can't wait!!
Have a good week everyone!

Dave Connitt
Cincinnati, OH
'67 TR4A