TR Horns

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Horns
From: "David Brister" <brister@tiscali.fr>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:11:08 +0100
I fixed my horn push by finding a piece of plastic tube from an old
ballpoint or similar which fitted the hole in the boss of the steering
wheel. Inside this I put a carbon rod, (actually the centre electrode of an
old flashlight battery)  cut in half with a piece of the ballpoint spring in
between. This provides the conductor from the horn push brass insert to the
brass ring at the centre of the wheel, whilst the bit of spring keeps a nice
pressure on each end.
It's still working beautifully.
By the way, a constant  problem I had with theTR horn is making the earth
from the upper part of the steering column, fiddling with wire over the UJ
and an earthing strap at the rack end.
I ground the teeth off a piece of hacksaw blade and bolted it onto the
hydraulic master cylinder box so that the other end bears onto the upper
part of the steering column with a bit of pressure. It only needs to carry
the 2 or 3 amps required for the horn relay.
That still works well.

HTH

David Brister.
1967 TR4A.