Re: Why original was roll bar and luggage rack?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>, "tri" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why original was roll bar and luggage rack?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:33:36 -0600
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>

> Phil,
> I didn't bid on the roll bar, but I'm responding to you statement on
> originality.  Why is it so important to use parts that were used in the
old
> days?  What if I don't plan on showing it?  What about if I don't plan on
> selling it?
> Thanks, Paul- 60 TR3

It may not be important.  Or it may.  In any case, it's often as easy to do
it as to not do it.  For street use, an old-style roll bar will provide the
same protection that some chrome double-bubble Elise wannabe would, and
still look like it is part of a period Triumph.

We have a front sway bar on our TR4.  It helps the handling a lot.  As a
bonus, it is the same brand sway bar that folks put on the car in the old
days, so even though it is not stock, it looks right.

One can put on some modern-looking wheels, or one can put on equally-good
wheels which look like the Minilites which were popular on the car back in
the day.  In our case, Dayton 60-spokes look original and romantic for Sue.
And I don't have to put up with the worn and wimpy 48's.

One of the things I plan on adding to the TR4 is a luggage rack.  For
practical reasons.  My wife wants to have more stuff with her next time we
go to an event out of town for a week.  One can buy a new rack which closely
resembles the one originally available for the car.  Might as well use that
one.  My wife likes her car (yes, her car, TR44SUE) to look, if not
original, at least "period".

I'm not a concours freak, but I am happy that the TR4 preserves the old
look.

My Lotus will never look original, but I like the way it looks, right down
to the spray-panted body.  Not a problem for my wife.  She hates it anyway.
She'd still hate it if it did look original.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"Drifting is the synchronized swimming of auto competitions."  -Gene Bennett