RE: [triumph_herald] Tubes in Herald tyres?

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [triumph_herald] Tubes in Herald tyres?
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:27:44 -0700
Randall,

I haven't ignored your question, or at least haven't meant to! But I have
been behind the power curve with business concerns.

In my early days of autocrossing, late 50's to mid 60s, at tech inspections
they would bend the valve stem over in order to confirm that the wheel had
tubes if the wheel was equipped with tubeless tires.

The 1st autocross I went to in my 1st sports car probably was in late '59. A
friend and I drove over to the Alameda Fair Grounds in Pleasanton, CA to run
an SCCA autocross, I drove my TF1500 and he drove his TD. My car had tube
type tires on wire wheels and he had tubeless tires on steel wheels! I got
to run, he didn't!

In every autocross I was involved with through the middle 60s that was the
they and later I, ran tech inspections.

Not sure if it was an old wives tale or not, but the rationale at the time
was that the softer sides of the tubeless tire could roll over and deflect
enough for the edge of the wheel rim to strike the pavement, with possibly a
corresponding catastrophic loss of air pressure. Never saw one do it but, I
have seen wheel and tire combinations come really close to the pavement in
extremely hard cornering!

Anyway, that's the way it was! Not sure of the way it is now!!

Regards,

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3
Scottsdale, AZ