RE: Lightening flywheels; Was gbx shaft engagementB

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lightening flywheels; Was gbx shaft engagementB
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:53:55 -0800 (PST)
I said:

> However, I would suggest that you only fit the aluminum flywheel
> to a motor that you have had balanced.

Randall said:

Why ?

So I thought about it and will say:

I think that an aluminum flywheel is 'gravy' for a performance-enhanced
engine. I also think that ANY performance engine should start with dynamic
balancing of ALL the reciprocating internals.

My impression is that the balancing job done on British cars of this
vintage is marginal. Just speaking for myself, I would NOT go adding
aluminum flywheels, cams, superchargers, alloy rods, forged pistons,
roller-rockers and the like before I balanced the crankshaft at the very
least.

It's like putting a $6000 paint job over rust.

-jeffrey