RE: Lightening flywheels; Was gbx shaft engagementB

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lightening flywheels; Was gbx shaft engagementB
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:13:12 -0800
> I think that an aluminum flywheel is 'gravy' for a performance-enhanced
> engine. I also think that ANY performance engine should start with dynamic
> balancing of ALL the reciprocating internals.
>
> My impression is that the balancing job done on British cars of this
> vintage is marginal. Just speaking for myself, I would NOT go adding
> aluminum flywheels, cams, superchargers, alloy rods, forged pistons,
> roller-rockers and the like before I balanced the crankshaft at the very
> least.
>
> It's like putting a $6000 paint job over rust.

Thanks, Jeffrey, I was just wondering if there was some more concrete
reason.  Normally, I would agree fully about hanging "go fast" parts on a
tired engine ... but I recently found myself needing another flywheel and
there was this beautiful aluminum one sitting on the shelf ...

In all honesty, the engine seems to vibrate less with the aluminum.  Not
sure why that is, but there you have it.

Randall