RE: rod balancing (was Lightening flywheels, etc) >

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rod balancing (was Lightening flywheels, etc) >
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:54:30 -0500
At 17:53 2/5/2004 -0800, Jeffrey Barteet wrote:
>I said:

[... deletia ...]

>My impression is that the balancing job done on British cars of this
>vintage is marginal. Just speaking for myself, I would NOT go adding
>aluminum flywheels, cams, superchargers, alloy rods, forged pistons,
>roller-rockers and the like before I balanced the crankshaft at the very
>least.

I agree about balancing, and have a follow-on question (racers, are you
listening?).  I'm going to balance my engine.  I've statically balanced all
pistons to within 0.05g, and have lightened and balanced all rods to the
same margin.  The rods have been statically balanced based on total weight,
not big ends and small ends.  My question is: is it important for engines
which probably won't go above 6K, to balance the big ends and small ends?

When all is said and done, I'll have all rotating components (including
harmonic damper, clutch and pressure plate with hardware locations marked)
dynamically balanced.  Money well-spent, IMO.

Tnx

Jim

Jim
jhassall@blacksburg.net
Blacksburg VA
'63 TR4 in autox preparation, 90% finished, 90% to go