RE: glass bead media

To: "'rudyeb'" <rudyeb@adelphia.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: glass bead media
From: "dconnitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:59:13 -0500
Hi Rudy,
What you are looking for is called Black Beauty. It is a coal slag
byproduct. I bought it here in Cincinnati at a masonry building supply
company. There were 3 grades which are fine, medium, and course. I have
used only the medium to date with great results. The cost is VERY
reasonable. I think I paid about $6.00 per 90 pound bag. It isn't quite
as nice a finish as glass beads which I think tends to polish the metal
surface. This leaves a nice paintable surface which is just slightly
rough. On the other hand is doesn't cost $.50 per pound either! The
bonus item is that you can sweep it up, strain it, and use it again a
couple of times before it breaks down.
I have been coating the bare metal with Oxysolv rust preventative right
after blasting since the metal starts rusting almost immediately and the
Oxysolv slows that down considerably.
If you want to see the results there are some pictures of blasting and
Oxysolv, I have  on my website.
If you have any questions, email me.
Good Luck,
Dave Connitt