RE: tr3 temperature guage &sender

To: "Randy Homanchuk" <rhomer@porchlight.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr3 temperature guage &sender
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:42:33 -0800
The bulb and "wire" do not separate, they are an integral part of the gauge.
If they do become separated, the gauge will have to be rebuilt.

I would guess that the "sending unit" is not turning in the housing, instead
what you are seeing turn is the steel collar that reinforces the tube.  Be
very careful here, as having the gauge rebuilt is over $100 and the tube is
very fragile.  It only takes a few bends to break it.

Soak it in PB Blaster or Sili-Kroil, try to work the brass bulb loose
working from inside the housing.

Or, consider just leaving the tube attached to the housing and tying it up
somewhere safe while you R&R the engine.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - with several ruined temp gages on the shelf waiting
to be sent to Mo-Ma, and a "Sun-Tune" gage in the car.  $18 at Pep Boys,
fits perfectly.