Re: Vapor Lock?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vapor Lock?
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:43:38 -0700
Wages, Jeffrey wrote:

>I just picked up a 'new' 73 TR6 and had a weird experience in her the other
>day. While cruising up the highway at @95mph the engine began to sull. Almost
>like it was starving for fuel... fuel pump has a primer pump so I pumped it a
>few
>times and saw fuel move through the lines.  I got back in and fired her up and
>she ran fan (though I was cautious) the rest of the way home...

How far was it to home?  When you primed it you filled the bowls and one
can drive aways with just the fuel in the bowls.  Perhaps more likely
that your fuel pump is failing and at 95 mph demand exceeded supply.  A
simple pressure test should identify if this is the case.  I assume the
pressure spec for a '6 is in most manuals.

FWIW -- I always carry an electric pump as a spare to get me home if the
mechanical pump fails.  Have used it a couple of times (shaft popped out
once, dropped a check valve another time).  A 2-4 lbs pump is about $25
at most FLAP and will go on in a minute and at least get you home or to
a safer place to work on it.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4