re: Vapor Lock?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[284D5CC0:01C3F7F6]
Subject: re: Vapor Lock?
From: "Wages, Jeffrey" <bzw8@cdc.gov>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:11:49 -0500
Thanks for all of the responses regarding my problem.

I would like to rebuild my fuel pump but I believe it is an aftermarket unit.
It has the prime lever and the letters "PS" on the top.  I can get rebuilds
for the factory units (AC) but not this one. Anyone know if these can be
rebuilt and if so where can you get a kit?

Quote of the day: "Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" -
Fortune Cookie

I'm sure we can come up with a better quote in relation to our LBCs

Thanks again,

Jeff - Atlanta

Hi all,

I just picked up a 'new' 73 TR6 and had a weird experience in her the other
day. While cruising up the highway at @95mph the engine began to sull. Almost
like it was starving for fuel. My first thought was that the 1/4 tank reading
on the gauge was inaccurate and I was running outta gas. As I got off the
highway it idled ok. Then as I proceeded through a neigborhood it began doing
it again until it eventually died. It would idle but any attempt to give her
gas and she would die. I got out and checked the tank...there was plenty of
fuel. I popped the hood and noticed the fuel lines just before the carbs (ZS)
appeared dry. My mechanical fuel pump has a primer pump so I pumped it a few
times and saw fuel move through the lines. I got back in and fired her up and
she ran fan (though I was cautious) the rest of the way home.

My first thought was the fuel pump but I'm not sure why it would start working
again (unless by priming it I performed CPR). My other thought was that I
might have gotten a vapor lock from the heat of the manifold to the bowls of
the carbs. We used to get this with some Weber carbs on Hondas we raced. Are
TR's known for this?

The fuel tank appears to be from an earlier model and has no rust. There are
two vapor tubes at the top of the tank. One is plugged with a rubber cap and
the other has a hose draining out under the car. Is one tube open enough to
prevent a vacuum?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff - Atlanta