stainless steel fasteners?

To: "rudyeb" <rudyeb@adelphia.net>
Subject: stainless steel fasteners?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:36:27 -0500
Cc: "triumph listserv" <triumphs@autox.team.net> i1KDf88A028096
Message text written by "rudyeb"
>As I am just embarking on restoring my '59 TR3A, I was wondering if it
made
since to use stainless steel fasteners in lieu of carbon steel. Is this a
bad
idea in so much as any electrolytic actions and/or tensile strength?
<

Stainless fasteners make perfect sense in low stress applications such as
bolting on fenders and lights but I would advise against using SS bolts on
critical applications such as suspension and engine applications.  Any
place you see a grade 8 bolt, replace it with a grade 8.  Stainless has
less tensile strength.

Also, although stainless will not rust, it is prone to gauling.  Thus, any
application that requires fasteners to be torqued to a spec you run the
risk of gauling the fasteners which can be a worse problem than rust.  Use
of antisieze will help protect against that but antisieze will also protect
against frozen carbon steel fasteners.  Hence I recommend sticking with
standard fasteners where strength is critical and use antisieze and fresh
lockwashers.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6