230 V Wiring question (semi LBC)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 230 V Wiring question (semi LBC)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:28:30 -0800
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
I am now ready to wire the new service for the new Hobart 230 VAC mig
welder and the new two stage compressor (for LBC work of course) in the garage
There are three connections to wire the 230V plug, a rather large vertical
spade, a smaller vertical spade, and the usual U shaped lower middle
connector.  The plug looks like a very large 115V grounded plug (if you
have seen a typical welding plug you know what I am talking about) but my
question since there are actually four wires servicing the house ( 115V,
115V, neutral, and ground) is in reference to the ground/neutral and  are
the connections as follows:  115V to large spade.  Other 115V to smaller
spade.  Now, to the actual question, is the U shaped connector connected to
the ground or the neutral bar?
Barry Schwartz - San Diego -(bschwart@pacbell.net)
---