Re: TR-6 Rear Hub (Longish)

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Rear Hub (Longish)
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:09:08 -0000
Hi Dennis
Here is an excerpt of a message I posted recently,

A well respected Triumph engineer told me to ignore the 0.002" end float and
aim for no float without pre-loading the bearings as this would achieve the
same end result after a few miles. It seems to have worked ok for me as the
rear wheel bearings are now on the second car with about 40,000 miles on
them.

I first did mine using a dial gauge and set the 0.002" float, after a few
miles (10-20) the bearings were really loose and I then asked for help and
was told to do the method described here.

The typical method of measuring the end float is to see if the wheel rocks
top in bottom out / top out bottom in, there is no real correlation between
this movement and end float (except experience). End float is on an axis
perpendicular and central to the bearing faces!
To achieve what I describe above, first tighten the flange on to the shaft,
then grip the hexagonal outer housing in a vice, next tighten the adjustment
nut finger tight then test for float by pulling / pushing the wheel flange
along the centre line of the shaft, it should be large at this point because
finger tight will not compress the spacer. Now use a wrench to tighten the
nut a bit, check and if slack tighten a bit more, as you get close, turn
only about 1/4 flat at a time until the end float is just gone, now bring up
the lock nut and carefully lock the two together without allowing the
adjuster nut to move. You will get told that the clearance is there to allow
for expansion, and as you can see this method does not seem to leave any
clearance. Do not worry, it will all settle back some more when you drive it
and end float will appear, if you are unlucky you may need to re tighten the
adjustment.