Re: TR3 Upper Steering Column Bushing

To: bbrewer@qnet.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Upper Steering Column Bushing
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:34:10 EST
Bill,

I ended up machining one out of nylon.  It was basically like a piece of
corregated pipe inside and out with the OD slightly larger that the ID of the
tube, and the ID of the nylon slightley smaller than the OD of the shaft, this
way
there would be positive loading on all surfaces.  I also added a small lip on
one end so it wouldn't slide down the tube.  When finished I used a hack saw
to cut one side lengthwise to slide over the shaft.  The result is absolutely
no play in the steering shaft whatsoever.

While explaining what I did, to someone that I don't remember, he said "Oh,
thats a yadayda yada bearing".  I don't remember what the name of that style
bearing is, but maybe there is a standard item that will fit.

Good luck,

Gary Bouffard