RE: Tall Guy in a TR 3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tall Guy in a TR 3
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:12:00 -0800
> At 6-feet, 3-inches tall, my problem in fitting into a TR 3 is
> that my right
> thigh gets crammed between the steering wheel, the bottom of the
> dash fascia
> and the shift console.  Is there a way to shift the driver's seat
> rearward,
> either by relocating the tracks on the floor pan, or by ditching
> the tracks
> altogether and somehow bolting the seat directly to the floor pan to the
> rear of the standard location.  How much leg room might be gained?

On my 58/9 TR3A the tracks allow the driver's seat to go back until it hits
the occasional seat in the rear.  I could gain probably another 2" by taking
out the occasional seat.  There are no stops built into the tracks except
for the catch itself ... with the catch released you should be able to slide
the seat all the way off (if it didn't hit the body).  Where it hits may
differ for the other body styles, but the slides are the same.

I'm only 5' 10", but I don't believe an extra 5" of height should cause the
problem you describe.  My 6' 4" friend doesn't seem to have any problem,
once he's inside the car.  Maybe your slides are bound up ?

Might also be worth investigating whether your pedals can be moved downward
slightly.  There should be several inches of adjustment in them ... I have
mine pretty high so I can sit back farther from the steering wheel.

The factory optional adjustable steering wheel might help too, although for
me it adjusts in the wrong direction.

Randall