Re: Tall Guy in a TR 3

To: linton@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Tall Guy in a TR 3
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:16:59 -0800 FILETIME=[9467E790:01C402FF]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Dave,

I'm also 6'3" and I have a TR 4 which shares the same layout more or less.
Here's what I've done.

First I switched to a TR 6 steering wheel which is about an inch smaller
than the original. You could go with an aftermarket too, low speed steering
doesn't get hard untill you get to 12" or so.

Next I moved the dimmer switch down to the floor giving myself a nice dead
pedal for my size 13 left foot.

After driving with my ripped up tired seats for a few years I was given some
nice used seat covers and foams which I used to rebuild my seats. I quickly
discovered that I couldn't drive the car anymore so I put my old herald
seats in the 4.

When I restored the rest of the car I decided to put fiberglass bucket seats
from the local dune buggy supply house. They were $67- each and look peroid
correct. I mounted these directly to the stock rails and with the thin
covers I get lots of extra room. I do sacrafice some comfort, but it is a
sports car after all. I sit really low in the car now, but that works for
me.

What I do have in reserve is a pair of TR 3 seat pans which I've modified
the drivers side to fit around the wheel arch. Some day I may have them
re-covered (with thinner than normal materials) but until then I'm using the
fiberglass seats. I've measured everything and this is the one place where
you can really gain room. Good Luck!!!

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald
'63 TR 4

>At 6-feet, 3-inches tall, my problem in fitting into a TR 3 is that my
>right
>thigh gets crammed between the steering wheel, the bottom of the dash
>fascia
>and the shift console.  Is there a way to shift the driver's seat rearward,
>either by relocating the tracks on the floor pan, or by ditching the tracks
>altogether and somehow bolting the seat directly to the floor pan to the
>rear of the standard location.  How much leg room might be gained?
>
>Dave

Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1!
(Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/