RE: TR3A - mounting bolt on dynamo pedestal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3A - mounting bolt on dynamo pedestal
From: "Eric K." <tr3a@xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:50:55 +0100 (CET)
Cc: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Randall Young said:
> Eric K. wrote :
>
>> I thought I'd ask here first: does anybody know what size bolt should
>> go here?
>
> Eric, I don't recall the size offhand,

I just found out myself by doing what I should have done first: check the
tightening torque tables in the workshop manual. It's a 5/16"x24 UNF bolt.
I must have something like that in my 'bolts-for-a-rainy-day' box.

> but it is (and should be) a special
> bolt.  The bolt is not very long, but must have a smooth shank where the
> generator touches it.  Otherwise, the threads will act as a file against
> the soft aluminum, and grind away the generator end plate.

You're quite right and I'm well aware of the need for a non-threaded part
on the shank here. That's why I called it a bolt and not a screw. ;-)

> TRF has them listed as being in stock.  Not cheap at $1.95 each, but a lot
> cheaper than a new generator.

Unfortunately, TRF is a long way away from here. A very long way. If I
order it from TRF, the shipping cost will be several times the price of
the bolt and the time to arrive here is likely to be longer than two
weeks...

Thanks anyway. :-)

Eric K.

--