brake MC question--TR6

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: brake MC question--TR6
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 13:25:12 -0400
I recently replaced all brake seals and master cylinder seals on my TR6 after
experiencing a pedal that got mushy and went all the way to the floor on my
drive home from work.  I also replaced one dented brake pipe at the rear and
all four flexible lines.  Yesterday I tried to bleed the system and ran into
problems.  The rear brakes were very hard to bleed; there just wasn't much
flow.  But I finally got some bubble-free fluid out and then did the front ones
more easily.  I don't think I have all the air our yet, but the disturbing
thing is that the pedal still goes to the floor when all bleed nipples are
closed.  This can't be good!  There are no leaks that I can find, so I'm
thinking that the master cylinder is the problem.  To be honest, the seals I
replaced in it didn't look bad at all, but I replaced them anyway (with the
proper oversized ones from Apple Hydraulics).  Is there any possible cause for
this other than a completely shot master cylinder?

Thanks for your help,
Tim

--
Tim Gaines