RE: SU Carb Mystery

To: <pmmacy@att.net>, "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SU Carb Mystery
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:38:51 -0700
>   Just home from Columbus Ohio British Car Day.  Well over 350
> cars, and approx. 75 Triumphs.  Wonderful event.
>   This was the first outing for the wife's SU equipped early TR4.
>  Black smoke and soot all over the rear bumper, boot lid, and
> number plate screams RICH!!!!, but raising the dashpot with the
> lifting pin causes the engine to slow down or die, which suggests
> lean to me.  Now I'm confused.  Any suggestions?

Clearly something is making it go rich at speed, while the idle is plenty
lean.

My first thought would be clogged air filters, second thought would be to
check for free movement of the air pistons throughout their travel.  This is
best done with the damper piston (the rod in the top) removed.  The
slightest trace of dragging, even a dragging noise, should be corrected as
it will affect mixture.

A vacuum leak could also cause lean idle with rich running.

Randall